Sunday, June 20, 2021

Garlic Scapes, and harvesting the garlic...


Lets talk about Garlic Scapes




 What is a garlic scape? 

Garlic scapes are the stalks that grow from the bulbs of hard-neck garlic plants. If left unharvested, the scapes eventually bloom flowers when the garlic plant fully matures. ...

Every year we grow garlic. I'm a bit selfish with my garlic as I use it so much. And then, we learned about garlic scapes...now our garlic goes further extending it's many uses. 
I came across a recipe from Feasting at home that I am excited to try. It's an india scape chutney on grilled naan bread...https://www.feastingathome.com/grilled-naan-with-garlic-scape-chutney/

Eating Scapes
Scapes can be used in cooking anywhere you would use garlic cloves and other alliums like chives. They can be sauteed with olive oil and added to pasta or other veggies, pickled, or they can be pureed into a garlic scape pesto, which I am going to try this year along with adding it to a compound butter recipe. I am excited to be able to just grab some scape butter for garlic bread, baked potatoes, and topping a delicious steak. Tonight I roasted some and also added some to the meat I cooked up for our dinner. We enjoyed my version of a seven layer salad for chips. I believe the opportunities are endless with scapes. 

Grilled Scapes
Garlic Scape Butter

 

                     






No comments:

Loving mashed potatoes the Irish Way!!!

You can use kale instead of cabbage, but I personally prefer the softer and sweeter taste of cabbage. Colcannon is traditionally topped with...