Saturday, September 24, 2022

My Pasta Sauce

 

Start with about 25-30 lbs of garden tomatoes

I start with a 12 quart pot and I fill it up to the top allowing the tomatoes to heap a lot. I always wash and cup the tomatoes in half or quarters if they are huge. I then cook down the tomatoes until it is reduced  between 3/4's way and 1/2 way. I use any tomato we grow in the garden. Even the tiny cherry tomato. As things cook down I add the additional left tomatoes. 

I then add the following ingredients:

2 medium large onions diced for easier cooking

2 medium large green peppers diced for easier cooking (can use red or yellow)

1/4 cup of parsley 

1/4 cup of oregano (if fresh I use more)

1/4 cup of basil (if fresh I use more, but most of the time to taste) 

1/4 cup of salt

1 1/2 tsp of garlic ( because I grow garlic and love fresh I will add 4-6 cloves )

1 cup of red wine vinegar

I will cook this down until things are done. I then run the batch through a Victorian Strainer for a smooth texture by removing the outer skins of the tomatoes and peppers. Heat again, and allow the sauce to simmer to the desired thickness you want.  Fill warmed pint jars, add lids and process for 35 minutes, water bath or steam canner.









No comments:

Loving mashed potatoes the Irish Way!!!

You can use kale instead of cabbage, but I personally prefer the softer and sweeter taste of cabbage. Colcannon is traditionally topped with...