Monday, August 9, 2021

Apricot Jam and a few other things...


I had the 4 musketeer's (four of my grandcritters) here for one week. During that time the 2 who arrived earlier helped me pit the apricots.
 
It was fun to show them the nut inside the apricot pit...some people don't know this and the delicious small nut is thrown out with the pits. There is a bit of controversy on the nut in the pit so study up on it and decide for yourself.


I keep all of mine and use them in a number of things but mostly just to snack on. We never consume a large amount. There are a number of articles stating people should limit their consumption of apricot kernels because of the risk of cyanide poisoning. Apricot kernels naturally contain amygdalin, which can release cyanide after being eaten.

I usually make apricot puree. Basically I puree the apricots and bottle them much like applesauce. Then when I want to make some jam I pull out a bottle of apricot puree and that's were I start. By pureeing most of my fruits I can use it for desserts like sorbet, granita, or mix it in yogurt, use it to make fruit leather. There are many options. My storage of apricot puree is totally used up. With the few apricots I was given I took advantage of it and made one of my favorite jams...and just a few bottles of puree for storage for when we eat all the jam...AND NEED MORE!!!


I made 2 variations: regular apricot jam and apricot jalapeno jam (for the heat lovers in my family)
I start with washing the apricots, and then I puree them in a food processor. Then I mix the apricot puree with sugar and fresh lemon juice and boil for 30-40 minutes.




INGREDIENTS

Regular Apricot Jam:

  • cups apricot puree
  • 3 cups sugar
  • 5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

Apricot Jalapeno Jam:

  • 6 cups apricot puree
  • 3 cups  sugar
  • 5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 3 medium jalapenos

    INSTRUCTIONS

    • Simmer the jars in a large canning pot. Do the same thing with lids and rings in separate pot.
    • In a large pot, combine all the ingredients and simmer over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Increase the heat to medium high and bring the mixture to a rolling boil. Stirring constantly, cook the jam for 30-40 minutes, or until it reaches 220°F (104°C).
    • Pour the jam into hot sterile jars. Leave about ¼ inches from the top. Clean the edges of the jars with a damp paper towel. Put the lid on and tighten the ring around them, but not too tight.
    • Place the jars back into the canning pot with hot water. Water should be about 4 inches over the jars. Bring it back to rolling boil and boil for 10 minutes. I prefer a steam processor and I steam mine for 15 minutes.
      It's really good!!!













1 comment:

Roman said...

A very unique and informative post. I really appreciate your effort you put in this blog. keep sharing excellent job.
work shop gear oil in Lahore

Loving mashed potatoes the Irish Way!!!

You can use kale instead of cabbage, but I personally prefer the softer and sweeter taste of cabbage. Colcannon is traditionally topped with...