Wednesday, August 2, 2023

Oh the Broccoli Salad with the pineapple

Broccoli 2023

This year the broccoli did really good and my Gardner Guy planted to much. Lesson learned here is to space out the planting's so we don't have more than we need coming on at one time. Spacing the planting time will give us broccoli through out the summer season.

Our neighbors and friends enjoyed our abundance and I made my favorite broccoli salad. I even took it to a Rotary luncheon and people loved it. I believe the secret to a good tasting broccoli salad is taking the time to cut your broccoli in small bite size pieces and don't forget the cheese and I believe the secret ingredient is the pineapple. 



Broccoli Pineapple Salad – 

SOOO simple and SOOO good!! Fresh broccoli, cheddar cheese, red onion, red grapes, fresh pineapple, pecans, sliced almonds, or sunflower seeds, bacon, mayonnaise, cider vinegar and sugar. I also add rasins and crasins.  Great for spring/summer cookouts, potlucks, camping and Easter side dish. As for myself I'm inviting a big group over to finish this huge crop of broccoli we have.  You can make ahead and refrigerate for several days. I add the dressing a few hours before serving.


Ingredients:

6 cups fresh broccoli florets, cut into small bite size pieces
1 cup cubed Cheddar cheese
½ medium red onion, chopped
1 cup red seedless grapes halved
½ cup diced fresh pineapple, I add what I like 
¼ cup chopped pecans, or sliced almonds
Sunflowered seeds, to your liking
3 slices of cooked bacon chopped
1 cup mayonnaise or Greek yogurt
2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp sugar


Instructions:

In a large bowl, combine the broccoli, cheese, onion, grapes, pineapple, pecans, or almonds and I always add sunflowerseeds, bacon rasins and/or craisins.
In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, vinegar, and sugar. Spoon the dressing over the broccoli mixture and toss gently until evenly coated.



No comments:

Loving mashed potatoes the Irish Way!!!

You can use kale instead of cabbage, but I personally prefer the softer and sweeter taste of cabbage. Colcannon is traditionally topped with...