Sunday, January 3, 2021

Seed Time, my favorite in 2020 was Pumpkin on the stick!!!



My favorite in the garden 2020...💚💚💚💚
Pumpkin on the stick...yes I saw these seeds and could hardly wait to plant them in 2020. I actually started them in the house and moved them to the garden area. It's grows much like a bush. They are edible, but apparently not too tasty as to what I have read about them.
 This eggplant relative is used in some Asian cuisine, but in this part of the world it’s not grown as an edible, but for its usefulness as an autumnal decoration, or pick them off and fill a bowl. The fruits are naturally glossy and will keep their rich hues throughout the season. In fact, the dried fruits last for years, with their color darkening to a glowing russet-brown. I also used them in some of my Christmas decor (painted them gold). 

(Don’t eat parts of this plant unless you have good advice on how to use them safely. I could not find any resources to help with that.) The plant is safe to handle and doesn’t pose any great danger to children. When picking use some shears and beware they have mean thorns much like roses...

Look for “pumpkin on a stick” in the fall. These offbeat dried eggplants are ideal for dried flower display, and easy to grow in your garden next year. I am doing it again for 2021!!!

 

No comments:

Loving mashed potatoes the Irish Way!!!

You can use kale instead of cabbage, but I personally prefer the softer and sweeter taste of cabbage. Colcannon is traditionally topped with...