Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Pop Corn balls and Halloween...

It became a tradition when raising my children to make delicious pop corn balls around Halloween. I know what might come to your mind.... will all parents think this treat is safe for their kids to eat? I have been lucky enough to live in neighborhoods were I knew most of the trick or treater's and they knew me. It soon became known that I was the lady who made wonderful pop corns balls and many came early to ensure they got their pop corn ball for the year. I still love to do this every year!!! The only thing missing is that my children are grown....Recipe below...


Caramel Pop Corn balls

1 1/2 cups of white corn syrup
3 cups of brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup of butter
1 15 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
3 gallons of popped corn

Combine corn syrup and brown sugar. Cook and stir until it comes to a boil, then stir in your sweetened condensed milk. Continue stirring and cooking over medium heat until it comes to a boil again, then add your butter. Cook to a soft ball stage, remove from heat and pour over your popped corn. I find it works better to put this hot mixture into a big mixing bowl and pour your popped corn into the mixture in batches this makes it easier to stir and get all the popped corn covered with caramel. If you want to form balls use butter to butter your hands and form your balls.


Wrapped and ready to be handed out....


What's your Halloween Tradition?

No comments:

Loving mashed potatoes the Irish Way!!!

You can use kale instead of cabbage, but I personally prefer the softer and sweeter taste of cabbage. Colcannon is traditionally topped with...