Tuesday, August 20, 2013

I just learned something about zucchinis...

Today on one of my post I got a comment on a recipe. She, a follower (and friend from the farmville game) refer to a soup she often makes that seem similar to the recipe I posted. But I was confuse about the name of the vegetable she was taking about. So I went to do some searching...I love the internet. Below is what I learned. Cool....I say!!! I am smarter today!!!
Courgette is the British, and particularly the New Zealand, name for zucchinis. People in the UK may refer to it as marrows. Zucchinis come in many shapes and a few different colors. People are likely most familiar with those that are long green oblongs, resembling a cucumber, but round or yellow ones can be found in many stores. It is perhaps the best known and most popular of the summer squashes.
Though marrows technically belong in the fruit family, they are almost invariably considered vegetables. They may be steamed, fried, grated into pasta sauce, or blanched and served as part of a vegetable plate. They’re also sliced into stews and soups, and have a mild taste. On a few occasions, courgettes are treated as a dessert and used in zucchini bread.

My favorite recipe for zucchini is making a relish...I have family and a list of friends who always asked me to bring them a jar...see recipe below....



You know how my Gardner Guy loves Hamburgers, he loves good Hot Dogs also....when we got married I made him some relish, we had taken a day trip to Brigham City to eat at Maddox's steakhouse and to visit their produce stands. This is where I loaded up on the ingredients to make a batch of relish I knew he would love. Since then he took to the garden and continues to bring me more things to cook!!!

Zucchini Relish
12 cups grated zucchini (sometimes  I have added yellow crook neck squash)
4 cups grated or chopped onion
3 red peppers finely diced/chopped
3 green pepper diced/chopped (can use a mixture of colored peppers)
1 bag of Soybeans or Lima beans (frozen kind)
5 Tablespoons of kloser salt/pickling salt
Mix and add enough water to cover all ingredients & let sit in fridge for at least 3 hours or overnight
Rinse and drain well

Make the Syrup
2 1/4 cups vinegar
1 tsp. dried mustard
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. turmeric
2 TBS cornstarch (mix in blender with vinegar)
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
2 TBS celery seed
6 cups sugar
Combine syrup mixture with your zucchini mixture and cook for 30 minutes on a medium high heat...fill sterilized jars and seal. I like to then place them in a hot water bath for 20 minutes.
For my family and friends I made 60 1/2 pints for Christmas 2011 gifts...
It is that good and worth sharing!!!

I like to add color

A lima bean or soybean looks pretty in this relish

This is a huge recipe so use a very large pot

Almost done...

My oh my how pretty!!!

No comments:

Loving mashed potatoes the Irish Way!!!

You can use kale instead of cabbage, but I personally prefer the softer and sweeter taste of cabbage. Colcannon is traditionally topped with...