Friday, August 10, 2012

I love Garlic, and My Gardner Guy grows a lot of it. I have dried it, minced it and packed it in oil for quick use, made my own garlic power for baking, pickled it for delicious snacking, and I cook with it almost daily....Did I say I Love My Garlic!!!! See notes below for storing garlic, drying and making your own garlic powder.

My many ways of using the garlic My Gardner Guy grows!!!
I needed another picture as I forgot the pickled garlic....it's my favorite!!!
Lots of the garlic Rose!!!


Pickled Garlic is one of my favorites!!!


For a great pickling recipe see the following link...I promise when you taste these you'll soon be adding more garlic to your Kitchen!!!

My Gardner Guy...Grow, Create, Cook and Eat...: Garlic...Garlic...and more Garlic and one more day until kitchen demolition!!!

Growing garlic in your garden? Drying it for long-term storage is a snap.

  1. Place the entire garlic plant (bulb, roots and stalk) in a cool, dry place. You can tie the garlic in bunches and hang it, or spread your harvest out on a rack. Either way, good ventilation is a must.
  2. Allow the garlic to dry for a few weeks (elephant garlic needs at least four weeks to cure). The outer wrapper will papery and shrunken when the garlic is dry.
  3. Once dry, trim the roots close to the bulb (leave about a half-inch remaining).
  4. Use a soft brush to remove any dirt from the bulb. The outer layer of the wrapper can be removed, if further cleaning is desired – but try not to remove much more than that.
  5. Leave the stalks intact, if you plan to braid your garlic. Trim them to within an inch or two of the bulb if you plan to store your garlic loose.
  6. Your garlic is now ready for storage! Keep it in a cool, dry place and it should stay fresh for months.

Tips:

  1. Save some of your biggest bulbs for planting next year
  2. Only undamaged bulbs should be dried for storage. If you nick a bulb while digging it up, you'll need to use it right away
  3. Use some of your garlic to make your own garlic powder (See below)

What You Need

  • Freshly dug garlic
  • A soft brush for scrubbing
  • Scissors

 

Homemade garlic powder is fresh, flavorful and surprisingly easy to make. Here's how to do it:

Ingredients:

  • Garlic Cloves

Preparation:

1. Peel your garlic cloves, and slice them thin.
2. Then, place the garlic slices in a 150 degree oven or in a dehydrator, and heat until dry.
Tip: The garlic is dry when you can crush it in your hand and it crumbles easily.
3. Allow the garlic to cool. Then, grind with a coffee grinder, spice mill, food processor or mortar and pestle until you reach your desired consistency.
4. Store your finished garlic powder in an air-tight container in a cool, dry spot or freeze.

No comments:

Loving mashed potatoes the Irish Way!!!

You can use kale instead of cabbage, but I personally prefer the softer and sweeter taste of cabbage. Colcannon is traditionally topped with...