Thursday, March 8, 2012

Butternut Squash Bisque (Soup)....hummmm good!!!

I really love this cute shapely squash...it stores well, as I still have some from my 2011 garden that I am using for these two recipes. Yes, two different soups, I like them both. The first recipe I got from my daughter a few years ago. When she and her husband were in South Africa they had this soup and fell in love with it. So, they brought the recipe home with them and it was what Shelley requested that I cook for her after delivering Ella. I liked it and soon My Gardener Guy was growing butternut squash in the garden. The second recipe is milk free using apple juice...I had them both tonight and My Gardner Guy and I could not decide which one we liked best...

Butternut Squash Soup 1 (from Africa)

3 TBSP butter
2 onions
2-3 cups Butternut squash cleaned, diced into cube like pieces (I use 3 cups)
1 apple peeled and chopped
1-2 tsp curry powder
1/4 tsp nutmeg
3 cups of chicken stock 
1 1/2 cups of milk
grated rind of one orange
juice of one orange
Salt and pepper to taste
Chopped parsley, croutons, crumble bacon for garnish all optional....


Directions
Cut your butternut squash in half, clean out the seeds, peel, then diced it up in cubes. Place on oiled baking sheet and roast for 30 minutes or until  tender.
Saute your onions and apples in butter.
In large cooking pot or stock pot add chicken stock, nutmeg, curry powder, grated rind and juice, sauteed apples and onions, butternut squash, cook on medium heat for 10- 15 minutes then add milk. Use a immersion blender to mix together. Salt and pepper to taste.....Serve warm.... garnish it with chopped parsley, croutons, or crumble bacon.... 

Butternut Squash Soup 2

4 TBSP butter
2 onions (medium)
3-4 cups Butternut squash cleaned, diced into cube like pieces (2 medium size)
2 apples peeled and chopped
3-4 tsp curry powder
4 cups of chicken stock 
1/2 - 1 cup of apple juice
Salt and pepper to taste
Chopped parsley, croutons, crumble bacon for garnish all optional....

Directions

Cut your butternut squash in half, clean out the seeds, peel, then diced it up in cubes. Place on oiled baking sheet and roast for 30 minutes or until  tender.
Saute your onions and apples in butter.
In large cooking pot or stock pot add chicken stock, curry powder, juice, sauteed apples and onions, butternut squash, cook on medium heat for 10- 15 minutes. Use a immersion blender to mix together. Salt and pepper to taste.....Serve warm.... garnish it with chopped parsley, croutons, or crumble bacon.... 

No comments:

Loving mashed potatoes the Irish Way!!!

You can use kale instead of cabbage, but I personally prefer the softer and sweeter taste of cabbage. Colcannon is traditionally topped with...