Sunday, August 18, 2013

Something else besides Zucchini Bread....



Beside making bread with zucchini try making a creamy soup, sometimes creamy soups made from roasted and puréed vegetables are called bisques. I have learned to make a few different ones with all the vegetables we have at times. Yesterday I decided for our Sunday meal I would use up the few zucchini's we had, serve with fresh bread and bruschetta, corn on the cob and a cucumber salad.

The one thing about this meal is every thing could be prepared the day before, except for cooking the corn. This allows me to have a lazy Sunday. Knowing that My Gardner Guy has a huge sweet tooth I made a few loaves of banana bread and some unbaked cookies. By Sunday evening I pretty much bet the treats will all be gobbled up!!!

 

Zucchini Bisque

5 cups zucchini
1 small onion, chopped
1-2 garlic cloves minced 
1/2 cube butter
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup half & half
salt & white pepper to taste
1 dash nutmeg

Simmer everything except the cream until squash & onion are tender. Blend until smooth, add cream.
Garnish this delicious soup with a little cheese, croutons, bacon, chives, parsley or even cilantro leaves ....

Those treats I made well there almost gone!!!


No comments:

Loving mashed potatoes the Irish Way!!!

You can use kale instead of cabbage, but I personally prefer the softer and sweeter taste of cabbage. Colcannon is traditionally topped with...