Friday, June 7, 2013

That pretty pumpkin makes more than pies!!!



Pumpkin jam .....it makes for a very nice gift for Christmas...
and it is not exactly something you'll find on your supermarket shelves, even in the fall season. What a shame because people are missing out on a delicious jam that can be enjoyed year round! It's absolutely delicious -- not too sweet, but perfect on virtually all types of breads and even in some desserts. Try it on bagels, muffins, pancakes, biscuits, toast and even use in place of mayo on a chicken or turkey sandwich! It's rather simple to make and almost foolproof. In my opinion, it tastes a lot like pumpkin pie! It's just perfect for the holidays! And that is just what I used it for, it was my 2012 christmas gift to many friends and neighbors (my friends are my neighbors)....it just took me this long to get it posted for all to enjoy why.... well life...computer mishaps and timing!!!

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook Time: 1 hour

Total Time: 1 hour, 5 minutes (recipe below)

My Gardner Guy grows them and the grandcritters love them!!!

  I enjoy all  the pumpkins that my Gardner guy brings me. ...every year my house looks festive!!!
Starting with Halloween...then we move into Thanksgiving...

We grow all different kinds and it matters not to me which ones I use to cook with as I  have cooked them all!!!
They make a wonderful table display for Thanksgiving...oh but where do you put the food right!!!



When the holiday's are over I gather them up and slice them in half,  I then save me some seeds for  my gardner guy to replant next year...and roast some!!!
Then I  bake them face down until the outer layer is not firm.... when it is done you can scoop the pumpkin out easy as it separates itself from the outer skin very nicely
Puree it in a food processor  and you now have your own pumpkin....
it freezes well... The good thing about freezing it is it is there when you want to use it later...



Now onto the pumpkin jam......

Ingredients:

  • 1 29 ounce can of pumpkin puree or pumpkins you cooked yourself....
  • 1/2 teaspoon clove
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ginger
  • 1/4 teaspoon allspice
  • 1 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
  • 3 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract

Preparation:

In a medium saucepan, combine all ingredients on medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Allow mixture to simmer for about 45 to 60 minutes. Check frequently to prevent sticking at the bottom of the pan. If this occurs, lower heat further. When making jams and jellies, I like to use a non-stick pan instead of stainless steel or copper bottom pans. After 45-60 minutes, the mixture will be thick and a clear orange color -- almost translucent. Place in sterilized jars and seal once cooled. You can also place in unsterilized containers, but the jam will only be good for a week or two in the refrigerator. If you are a first time canner, it is important that you follow canning safety procedures very carefully. If not, you may put yourself or others at risk of food poisoning and also risking premature spoilage -- you don't want all of your hard work to be for nothing!


For more information about canning and canning safety, please read this canning safety resource from About.com Home Cooking.

No comments:

Loving mashed potatoes the Irish Way!!!

You can use kale instead of cabbage, but I personally prefer the softer and sweeter taste of cabbage. Colcannon is traditionally topped with...