Thursday, August 16, 2012

Peaches.....


 Canning Peach Pieces

   
As much as I love canning, I get a little  bored with doing the same old things. Faced with quite a few peaches, pears and grapes I sometimes have to make the most of my time. So I bottle a few sliced up, but then I turn the rest into pear sauce, just like doing apple sauce. I make pear sauce, apricot sauce, peach sauce and apple sauce. All the flavors work for mixing in my yogarts or for making sorbet...For now I will share my method of the sliced peaches but watch for more infomation on fruit sauces!!!


There are many methods to can peach pieces, including cold and hot pack, with syrup, juice, or water. Below is a metod I like doing....

1) Blanche peaches in boiling water and shock in ice water to loosen skins.
2) Remove skins.
3) Slice peach in half, remove pit ( a freestone variety is easier to pit ), and slice each half into six slices.
4) Place the slices in a large pot. Any pieces that do not hold together for nicely formed slices go in a smaller pot for making into peach jam.
5) Make a very light syrup of 1 cup sugar to 8 cups water by gently heating to dissolve the sugar into the water.
6) Pour syrup over peaches and heat to a gentle boil. Hold at boiling for 5 minutes.
7) Ladle peach pieces into sterilized pint jars. Use a knife to gently stir and release air bubbles. Pour syrup over top, leaving 1/2 inch headspace.
8 ) Secure sterilized two piece lids on jars and place in a boiling water bath. Process for 20 minutes.
9) Admire the jars.
10) The following day, remove the rings. Wipe the residual sticky-ness from the jars with a warm wet cloth and label each lid with the product and date. Store in a cool, dark place until use.

No comments:

Loving mashed potatoes the Irish Way!!!

You can use kale instead of cabbage, but I personally prefer the softer and sweeter taste of cabbage. Colcannon is traditionally topped with...