Using up those Strawberries for a special person!!!
|Happy Birthday Lila!!!|
My oldest Daughter...she is wonderful...
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus more for the pans
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled, plus more for the pans
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 recipe Fresh Strawberry Filling (See Below)
- 1 recipe Chocolate Sour Cream Frosting (See Below)
- 1 quart strawberries, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup seedless raspberry jam, warmed
- Heat oven to 350°F. Butter two 8- or 9-inch round cake pans, line the bottoms with parchment, butter again, and dust with flour, tapping out the excess. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar on medium-high until fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Beat in the vanilla, then the eggs one at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Reduce mixer speed to low. Add the flour mixture in 3 additions and the milk in 2 additions, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Mix just until combined (do not overmix).
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pans and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes for 8-inch pans and 22 to 25 minutes for 9-inch pans. Cool the cakes in the pans for 15 minutes, then turn out onto racks to cool completely.
- Transfer one of the cooled cakes to a plate and spread with 1 to 1½ cups of the filling. Top with the remaining cake and refrigerate to set, 30 minutes. Spread the top and sides with the frosting.
- Starting from the outside perimeter, place a ring of the sliced strawberries around the cake, points facing out. Continue layering concentric rings around the cake until you reach the center. Carefully brush with the jam.
Fresh Strawberry filling:Ingredients
- 1 pound strawberries, hulled and halved (about 2 3/4 cups)
- 1/4 cup seedless raspberry jam
- pinch kosher salt
- In a food processor, combine the strawberries, jam, and salt. Pulse 10 to 12 times, just until the strawberries are coarsely chopped (about the consistency of relish). Refrigerate until ready to use, up to 6 hours.
Chocolate Sour Cream Frosting:Ingredients
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- pinch kosher salt
- Heat the chocolate in a double boiler or medium heatproof bowl set over (not in) a saucepan of simmering water, stirring often, until melted and smooth. Remove from heat and let cool, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the butter on high until light and fluffy, 3 to 5 minutes. Reduce mixer speed to low. Gradually add the sugar and beat until smooth, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Add the chocolate, sour cream, and salt and beat to combine.