Monday, January 2, 2012

World's Biggest Pumpkin Exhibition...this would be fun to do with my Gardner Guy!!!


I have had lots of visitors while recovering from my surgery. I have not done much cooking but have been compiling a list of thoughts of things I want to do this year. I have lots of pumpkin puree in the freezer, which reminds me I did not do a post on making your own pumpkin pies from pumpkins. No worries because I believe pumpkin goodies can be eaten all year long!!! While playing on my computer I came across something I would LOVE TO SEE!!!

The Ludwigsburg pumpkin festival in Germany... Each year there is a different theme using over 500,000 pumpkins,  and over 450 varieties...I would really love to see this. Computers are great, the Internet allows us to visit places we may never get to. However in my wish bucket this would be worth seeing to me...








Did you know?

Quebec farmer Jim Bryson and his daughter Kelsey have grown the world's largest pumpkin. The massive vegetable weighs in at an impressive 1,818.5 lbs (or 825 kg).
Bryson - an Ormstown native - began growing large vegetables four years ago after learning about the sport from his cousin. His first pumpkin project was a success, reaching 600 lbs (272 kg). “After that, I was hooked,” he says.
Cultivating a massive winter squash is no small task. During peak growing season, Bryson can spend up to 10 hours a day tending to his garden. Special compost, heating cables and grow-lights contribute to the pain-staking process.
On a good day a pumpkin can grow up to 50 lbs, or 23 kg, a feat that is best achieved under favourable weather conditions.
“We live in a really good climate for growing vegetables,” Bryson says. “We don't get extreme heat or cold. We have pretty unique weather in this part of Quebec.”
Bryson's pumpkin has been turned into a Hallowe'en sculpture by artist Ray Villafane. This pumpkin was on display at the New York Botanical Garden 2001 fall season. I like stories like this as it gets my mind thinking of all the possibilities!!! Just think of all the pumpkin treats one could make with such a huge pumpkin!!!

Georgie

Here are some great pumpkin treats to try....

 Homemade Pumpkin Yogurt
http://www.blogger.com/post-edit.g?blogID=3456120515502881405&postID=2368475626433558755

Easy Pumpkin Cookies
http://mygardnerguy.blogspot.com/2012/01/easy-quick-pumpkin-cookies.html

Mini Pumpkin Bundt Cakes
http://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=3456120515502881405#editor/target=post;postID=6358033011481229671

Roasted Pumpkin and Garlic Soup
http://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=3456120515502881405#editor/target=post;postID=2350856946239702021

Pumpkin Seeds you'll love them....http://mygardnerguy.blogspot.com/2012/01/pumpkin-seeds-roasted-and-caramelized.html

No comments:

Loving mashed potatoes the Irish Way!!!

You can use kale instead of cabbage, but I personally prefer the softer and sweeter taste of cabbage. Colcannon is traditionally topped with...