Tuesday, November 22, 2011
Homemade Pumpkin Frozen Yogurt
1 cup nonfat vanilla yogurt, strained
1 cup pumpkin puree
1 tablespoons granulated sugar
(At times I have use other sweetners, example would be a simple sugar syrup mixture)
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
Mix everything together in a large mixing bowl until completely combined. Churn the mixture in an ice cream maker for a few minutes until it is a smooth, cool consistency. Alternatively, place the bowl in the freezer and stir mixture every half hour until it reaches desired consistency.
Thursday, November 17, 2011
This Guy is getting cooked today....
When I was a teenager I loved Baking. My Father use to say when you learn to make a apple pie as good as your Aunt Luella then you will have become a great cook. I so wanted to please him, so year after year I would bake him a pie. I tried many different crust recipes....then I found the one I loved, I have been using it for the past 15 years. Year after year I would wait to hear if I had become that great cook, baker or something from my Father. Finally, I asked him...."Hey Daddy is my Apple Pie better than Aunt Luella's...or as good...he smiled and said I surpassed her along time ago!!! Funny what kind of things make us smile. I want to thank my sweet Aunt for teaching me how to make pies!!!
2 cups of flour
1 tsp salt
1 cup shortening
1/4 cup of water
Measure 1 2/3 cups of flour and put into a mixing bowl. Add 1 tsp of salt. Cut in 1 cup of shortening. In another small bowl mix 1/3 cup of flour with 1/4 cup of water making a paste. Then add this to the shortening/flour mixture until it forms a ball...Makes a two layer pie, fill your pie with the desired filling of your choice and bake at 400 degrees.
Monday, November 14, 2011
Roasted Red Pepper Spread
• 6 lb red bell peppers (about 14 medium)
• 1 lb Italian plum tomatoes (about 5 medium)
• 2 cloves garlic, unpeeled
• 1 small white onion
• 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
• 2 Tbsp finely chopped fresh basil
• 1 Tbsp sugar
• 1 tsp salt
Yield: About 5 half-pints
1. ROAST red peppers, tomatoes, garlic and onion under a broiler or on a grill at 425°F, turning to roast all sides, until tomatoes and peppers are blistered, blackened and softened and garlic and onion are blackened in spots. Remove from heat.
2. PLACE pepper and tomatoes in paper bags, secure opening and let cool about 15 minutes. Allow garlic and onion to cool. Peel garlic and onion. Finely chop garlic. Set aside. Finely chop onion, measuring 1/4 cup. Set aside. Peel and seed peppers and tomatoes. Place peppers and tomatoes in a food processor or blender, working in batches, and process until smooth.
3. PREPARE boiling water canner. Heat jars and lids in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Set bands aside.
4. COMBINE pepper and tomato puree, garlic, onion, vinegar, basil, sugar and salt in a large saucepan.Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until mixture thickens and mounds on a spoon, about 20 minutes.
5. LADLE hot spread into hot jars leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Wipe rim. Center hot lid on jar. Apply band and adjust until fit is fingertip tight.
6. PROCESS in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed.
Roasted Red Pepper and Basil Pesto Penne
3 cloves garlic
1/3 cup pine nuts
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup roasted red bell pepper (fresh or jarred) Or 1 cup of My Gardner Guy's Roasted Red Pepper Spread http://mygardnerguy.blogspot.com/2011/11/roasted-red-pepper-spread.html
1 cup basil leaves
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. pepper
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 lb. penne pasta
¼ cup heavy cream, optional
Place garlic and pine nuts in a food processor. Pulse until finely chopped. Add Parmesan, red pepper, basil leaves, salt and pepper. Pulse until well combined. With the motor running, add olive oil through the feed tube and process until incorporated. Set aside.
Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and return to the pot. Add the pesto to the pasta and stir to combine. Stir in heavy cream if desired for a creamier sauce. Heat until warmed through. Serve immediately. If you make the My Gardner Guy's Roasted Red Pepper Spread....use 1 cup and depending upon your taste you may or may not want to use less freash garlic and fresh basil...
Creamed Garden Potatoes and Peas Recipe We all have comfort foods...this one is mine, My Gardner Guy approves!!! Ingredients 2...
Cole slaw to can or freeze INGREDIENTS 1 large head cabbage 1 large carrot, I love color so I used 2 carrots 1 green pepper, red, yel...
Cantaloupe Marmalade 2 cantaloupes 2 oranges, ground 1 lemon, ground 1 20 oz can crushed pineapple 4 cups sugar Chop the cantal...