Monday, September 19, 2011

Tasty....Black Bean and Corn Salsa....this is a keeper just like My Gardner Guy!!!


A while back while on a trip to New York I came across Black Bean and Corn salsa....I loved it. I have since looked for one I have liked and have not found that one with the wonderful thick sweet tomato flavor. So when I came upon this recipe I knew this was close to what I was looking for. After finishing the product with a few changes I don't think I could of done any better...Great tasty, black beans we grew last year...home cooked tomato sauce, peppers, onions, corn, things we are already growing in the garden!!!

Black Bean and Corn Salsa

4 cups tomatoes, peeled, chopped and drained
1 1/2 cups onions, chopped
1 cup jalapeno pepper, chopped (I use a mixture of peppers grown in the garden)
6 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 T. Epazote seasoning (If you cannot fine this spice you can use oregano)
1 T. dried Cilantro
1 t. red chili flakes
1 T. Kosher salt
1/3 cup vinegar
1 (15 ounce) tomato sauce
1/2 of a (15 ounce) dried black beans, sorted, soaked overnight, drained and rinsed, then weighed
1 -2 cups frozen corn or fresh (this is up to you the amount)

The night before, sort and soak your dried black beans in enough water to cover them. Leave in a cool place. The next day drain beans in a colander and put back into a pot adding 4 cups of water and cook for 30 minutes on a simmer. Do not boil as it will cause the beans to split.

To continue prepare 8 pint jars, lids and rings by sterilizing.

Once your beans have cooked the 30 minutes, add 15 ounces of the black beans without cooking liquid. Add the remaining ingredients and cook for an additional 10 minutes until the mixture is boiling. Remove from heat and ladle mixture into the hot jars leaving 1" headspace. The extra headspace is for the expansion and beans absorbing some of the liquid. Put on lids and rings and place into a pressure canner.

Process in canner for 75 minutes at 10 pounds for the pints, 90 minutes if you choose to use quarts.

You will find this recipe to be very versatile and you can add more heated peppers for a spicier flavor, or assorted peppers, more dry spices like cumin to add a smoky flavor, or additional vegetables such as green peppers to add more bulk to the chip. I used a tomato sauce that I cooked down thicker and sweeter flavor, rather than a store bought version that usually has a salty or lemon taste.

No comments:

Loving mashed potatoes the Irish Way!!!

You can use kale instead of cabbage, but I personally prefer the softer and sweeter taste of cabbage. Colcannon is traditionally topped with...