Thursday, August 18, 2011

Sweet Peppers...will taste pretty darn good on My Gardner's Guy sandwiches



Sweet Peppers....I love sub sandwiches with lots of sweet peppers. You know the kind they have on a Blimpie Sub. I love..love..love them!!!

I am so excited this year the peppers in our garden are doing great. We have so many that I am buried. With my kitchen being under construction I have put off my canning. In fact yesterday I visited 10 neighbors and gave away lots of goodies I would normally bottle...

I couldn't take it any longer and this morning I headed up the street to borrow a kitchen to do some canning. After all how could I let these beautiful peppers not be preserved!!!

Sweet Sandwich Peppers

These pepper strips are great on a relish tray or a sandwich. Great way to preserve bell peppers!

Ingredients

Red & green, yellow, orange even purple bell peppers
vegetable oil
canning salt
2 cups cider vinegar – 5% acidity
3 cups Splenda or sugar
3 cups water

Directions

Preparation -
Core, seed and cut peppers into 1/4″ to 1/2″ strips.
Place pepper strips into hot pint jars.
Add 1/4 tsp oil and 1/2 tsp. salt to each jar.
In a large saucepan, stir Splenda or sugar into vinegar and water.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
Pour hot syrup into jars over peppers; fill to 1/2″ from top of jar.
Adjust caps and bands on jars.
Process in low temp water bath at for 30 minutes

Happy Canning
Georgie

1 comment:

Stacie said...

Thanks for the recipe Georgie. I didn't know you could use Splenda in canning. I've got to try these soon. Come borrow my kitchen anytime!

Loving mashed potatoes the Irish Way!!!

You can use kale instead of cabbage, but I personally prefer the softer and sweeter taste of cabbage. Colcannon is traditionally topped with...