Wednesday, June 8, 2011

A treat for My Gardener Guy!!! Sweet Orange Rhubarb Marmalade and Barbecue Sauce...



I have a list of recipes and ideas that I want to dig into. The trouble is I am almost through the big container of Rhubarb...So far I have added Barbecue Sauce, and Orange Rhubarb Marmalade to the additional 21 half pints of Rhubarb sauce being stored on my kitchen table. ( Silly me I like to look at them and pat myself on the back; way to go girl!!!) I am please with the turn out of both items. I attempted a rhubarb salad dressing that I would not feed to anyone! I was so excited to find a salad dressing to use on my freshly picked salad greens and spinach. So I was really disappointed about the recipe results...Please note I will never post a recipe unless I have tried it, liked, loved, and can not live without it!!!

I am very pleased with this Barbecue sauce. It seems weird that rhubarb is the base but many sauces have prunes, dates, raisins and fruits in them. Beings rhubarb is often used as a fruit in recipes it pairs really well as a barbecue sauce. I like this sauce so much that from now on I will not need to buy any from the store. This is a keeper...great way to use up my rhubarb. I am kind of excited to use it in My Gardner's Guy's Cincinnati Chili.
Georgie

Rhubarb Barbecue Sauce
1 cup water
1 onion chopped
1 mashed clove of garlic
1 1/2 cups chopped rhubarb
1 tsp. oil
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup ketchup
2 tbsp. corn syrup
2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
3 tbsp. Worcestershire
2 tsp. hot sauce or
I have used jalapeno or Habanero jelly
2 tbsp. vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
Bring the rhubarb and water to boiling. Lower the heat and let simmer until rhubarb is tender.
Let cool and process rhubarb mixture until smooth.
In the original saucepan, saute the onion and garlic in the oil. Add in the rest of the ingredients, and finally the rhubarb puree. Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to let simmer uncovered until you have the desired thickness you like.
This is a small batch, doubling or tripling the batch allows you to can a few bottles for later use. Process finished product in a water bath...pints 20 minutes, quarts 25. This sauce will be wonderful for basting your grilled meats from the barbecue.

Rhubarb Orange Marmalade

6 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
6 cups sugar
2 medium oranges

Directions
Combine rhubarb and sugar in a large heavy saucepan. Grind oranges, including the peels, in a food processor; add to rhubarb mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring often until marmalade sheets from a spoon, about 1 hour or more this takes time to thicken.
Pour into hot jars, leaving 1/4-in. head space. Adjust caps. Process in a boiling-water bath for 10 minutes.

I like this gourmet marmalade on a bagel with cream cheese or even toast. I think next Sunday I will serve it with some bagels.
My Gardner Guy is going to love this sweet treat!!!

No comments:

Loving mashed potatoes the Irish Way!!!

You can use kale instead of cabbage, but I personally prefer the softer and sweeter taste of cabbage. Colcannon is traditionally topped with...