Tuesday, June 7, 2011

My Gardner Guy's Rhubarb Sauce



My Gardener Guy's Rhubarb Sauce, I made 21 half pints today...
This sauce warmed up is a delicious topping for vanilla ice cream and My Gardener Guy loves it paired with a bowl of cold applesauce.


I spent most of the morning making plans on what rhubarb things I wanted to make. First I had to go through the freezer to see what I had left from last season's crop. Even though I make rhubarb sauce and a dozen or more rhubarb pies I still in up with quite a few stalks of rhubarb to share with others and freeze for later use in case I find another recipe to try. I prefer today to use up last seasons supply first. It will be perfect for my rhubarb sauce. Before this season is over I will get another bumper crop of rhubarb to use.

Some tips on Storing Rhubarb
Fresh stalks or chopped pieces can be stored whole in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks in sealed plastic bags. When you're ready to use refrigerated stalks, stand them in a container of cold water first to refresh them. Trim off the ends before chopping. Some cooks remove the stringy fibers, while others may choose to let the cooking do the softening. Rhubarb freezes well. Remove the leaves and wash the stalks. Cut the stalks into 1-inch pieces, put them in a heavy-duty plastic bag and store it in your freezer for up to 9 months. Blanching, followed by a brief ice-water bath, may preserve the color of the stalks. I have skipped this last step of blanching the color is still good.
Georgie

Rhubarb Sauce
2 1/2 quarts of chopped rhubarb
1 1/2 cups chopped raisins
1/2 cup chopped onion
3 1/2 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup vinegar
1 tsp allspice
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp salt

Combine rhubarb, raisins, onions, sugar and vinegar in a large sauce pot. Cook until thick, about 25-30 minutes. As the mixture thickens, stir frequently to prevent sticking. Add spices: cook 5 more minutes. Pour hot into canning jars leaving 1/4 inch head space. Adjust lids and process 15 minutes in boiling water bath. Yeilds 4 pints...

No comments:

Loving mashed potatoes the Irish Way!!!

You can use kale instead of cabbage, but I personally prefer the softer and sweeter taste of cabbage. Colcannon is traditionally topped with...