Canned Tomato Bruschetta Topping
- 8-9 cups chopped, cored, and peeled plum/paste tomatoes
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 c. dry white wine
- 1 c. cider vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 1/2 c. water
- 2 T. sugar
- 2 T. balsamic vinegar
- 1-2 T. dried basil
- 1-2 T. dried oregano
- Prepare tomatoes.
- Prepare canner, lids, and jars.
- In a large, deep, stainless pot, combine all the ingredients except the tomatoes. Bring to a full, rolling boil over high heat, stirring often.
- Reduce heat, cover, and boil gently for 5 minutes. Keep warm on lowest heat while filling the jars.
- Pack tomatoes into hot jars, leaving a 1/2-in headspace. Ladle the hot vinegar mixture into jars, again with a 1/2-inch headspace. Remove any air bubbles with a spatula and add any needed liquid to retain the 1/2-inch headspace. Wipe rims, attach lids and place jars in canner.
- Bring to a boil, then process for 20 minutes. Turn off heat, remove canner lid and wait 5 minutes before removing the jars to cool on a cloth-lined counter. Check seals after 24 hours, then store on a cool, dark shelf.
Makes 9 1/2-pint jars
Note: beings I am at attitude's of 4000 ft I increase my processing time ten minutes more...