Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Yellow tomato basil jam....my favorite this fall season....

Yellow tomato's make for a most golden delicious jam...I love this jam!!!
 
 
 

This year we enjoyed a few varieties of yellow tomato's in the garden. I have a stack of recipes, along with  quite a few book marked on my computer I want to try. So when the yellow tomato's came ripe I was excited to try this recipe. Trust me, I try a lot of recipes and if they make it to my blog that means I loved them and it will be added to my pantry to be enjoyed in my home...

Ingredients
  • 4 pounds Sun gold or other yellow tomatoes
  • 3 cups granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup lemon juice
  • zest of two lemons, divided
  • 1/4 cup roughly chopped basil
Instructions
  1. Cut Sun gold tomatoes in half, or, if using larger yellow tomatoes, chop them into smallish pieces.
  2. Combine chopped tomatoes with sugar in a large, non-reactive pot and stir. Let sit for at least one hour, or until the tomatoes release their juice.
  3. When ready to cook, prep canning pot and jars and place jam pot over high heat. Add lemon juice and bring to a boil.
  4. Cook at a boil for 30-35, stirring frequently, until the tomatoes have softened and the syrup has gotten thick. Once you’re satisfied with the set, remove the pot from the heat and stir in half the lemon zest and chopped basil. Taste and add remaining lemon zest only if you feel the jam requires it.
  5. Pour jam into prepared jars. Wipe rims, apply lids and rings. Process jars in a boiling water bath canner for 10 minutes.
 

No comments:

Loving mashed potatoes the Irish Way!!!

You can use kale instead of cabbage, but I personally prefer the softer and sweeter taste of cabbage. Colcannon is traditionally topped with...