Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Red Salsa

Over the past few years I have been testing different salsa recipes and when it came to the red salsa I had not found what I liked or loved until now....the difference I have found is I like using the lime juice instead of the vinegar that most canning recipes call for. So here it is I love it!!!!

Red Salsa with lime
  • 10 quarts of plum tomatoes or in my case any tomatoes I am growing (I prefer seeding them) 
  • Pickling salt
  • 6 large onions
  • 6-8 heads garlic
  • 1 lb jalapeno pepper
  • 6 large mild bell peppers
  • 2 1/2 cups minced cilantro
  • 1 (5 1/2 ounce) can tomato paste
  • 2 tablespoons lime juice (per 500 ml jar or pint jar)
Directions

  1. Deseed and dice your tomatoes (see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI0d2qliO7) this will show you what deseeding a tomato is). 

  2. Dicing the tomatoes fine or deseeding or not does not matter...you can  chop them coarsely but which ever way you choose sprinkle with pickling salt in layers as you go - I try to use about 5 tablespoons.

  3. Put them in a strainer and set in a cool place (but NOT the fridge!) to drain for several hours.

  4. Prepare your canning jars, lids, sterilize.

  5. Peel and chop onions (I like then fine)

  6. Peel and deseed the peppers, and chop them (again I like them finely chopped).

  7. Peel and mince the garlic and mince cilantro

  8. Mix all the ingredients except the lime juice in a large pot, make sure tomato paste is mixed in well and lump-free.

  9. Bring the salsa to a boil.

  10. Pack salsa into warm sterilized jars

  11. Add 2 tbsp lime juice to each jar

  12. Apply  heated lids and bands, screw down to fingertip tight.

  13. Return the bottles to the boiling water bath and process them for 20 minutes.

  14. Remove, allow to cool, and check seals

No comments:

Loving mashed potatoes the Irish Way!!!

You can use kale instead of cabbage, but I personally prefer the softer and sweeter taste of cabbage. Colcannon is traditionally topped with...