Sunday, July 28, 2013

Make room for a crunchy cabbage salsa!!!

Upon one of my visits to a small Nevada town to see my Father we stopped to eat at a small Mexican restaurant...they serve their chips with two salsa's a red salsa and a cabbage salsa. My Gardner Guy and I loved it so I attempted to make our own from the cabbage, peppers, onions, cilantro and tomato's he has grown this year. So tonight for dinner we had our taco's, chips and cabbage salsa and the first pickings of the corn he is so proud of!!!



My Gardner Guys Cabbage salsa:
  • Cabbage  (purple or green I have used both)
  • Onion  (I like green onions the best but any onion works)
  • Jalapeno (seeded)
  • Cilantro
  • Tomato (seeded)
  • Salt
  • Fresh lime juice
  • Cumin
  • a little oil
  • At times if you have it available I have added any color of bell peppers....just for more color
Directions:
  1. Finely chop all of the ingredients and add them to a bowl. Stir to combine.
The amounts you use can vary depending on your preference. Cabbage is the base  so you’ll want to use the most of that and then add everything else to taste. Tomatoes are the typical base for most salsa and really the only reason I choose to use them  here is to add a little color and they add a little extra liquid. Start with a few cups of cabbage, 1/4 cup onions, 1/2  cup jalapenos, 1/4 cup  finely chopped cilantro, 1/2 cup or more of tomato, and bell pepper for color,  the juice of one lime.  Add the lime juice a little at a time... to the taste that you like. Cumin to taste and just a small amount of oil.  For the best flavor make this 30 minutes or so before you plan to serve it to allow the juices to come out and the flavors to blend together. This salsa is best when served fresh but you could store it in the refrigerator for a few days.

I like this salsa so much I use it for the making of taco's...over the ground beef cooked in My Gardner Guy's salsa verde.

Countries like El Salvador, Honduras and Mexico might call this dish Chimo, they would serve it over meats, fish, chicken, beef, and pork...it works well with them!!!
 

2 comments:

Sherri said...

If that little Nevada town is Ely, and your salsa taste like the one we have there...I am all over it!

Georgie said...

yes Sheri...we are talking about the same town and cabbage salsa...

Loving mashed potatoes the Irish Way!!!

You can use kale instead of cabbage, but I personally prefer the softer and sweeter taste of cabbage. Colcannon is traditionally topped with...