Saturday, August 11, 2012

You know how my Gardner Guy loves Hamburgers, he loves good Hot Dogs also....when we got married I made him some relish, we had taken a day trip to Brigham City to eat at Maddox's steakhouse and to visit their produce stands. This is where I loaded up on the ingredients to make a batch of relish I knew he would love. Since then he took to the garden and continues to bring me more things to cook!!!

Zucchini Relish
12 cups grated zucchini (sometimes  I have added yellow crook neck squash)
4 cups grated or chopped onion
3 red peppers finely diced/chopped
3 green pepper diced/chopped (can use a mixture of colored peppers)
1 bag of Soybeans or Lima beans (frozen kind)
5 Tablespoons of kloser salt/pickling salt
Mix and add enough water to cover all ingredients & let sit in fridge for at least 3 hours or overnight
Rinse and drain well

Make the Syrup
2 1/4 cups vinegar
1 tsp. dried mustard
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. turmeric
2 TBS cornstarch (mix in blender with vinegar)
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
2 TBS celery seed
6 cups sugar
Combine syrup mixture with your zucchini mixture and cook for 30 minutes on a medium high heat...fill sterilized jars and seal. I like to then place them in a hot water bath for 20 minutes.
For my family and friends I made 60 1/2 pints for Christmas 2011 gifts...
It is that good and worth sharing!!!

I like to add color

A lima bean or soybean looks pretty in this relish

This is a huge recipe so use a very large pot

Almost done...

My oh my how pretty!!!

1 comment:

Stacie said...

Thanks for the recipe! I've been wanting it since Christmas! :)

Loving mashed potatoes the Irish Way!!!

You can use kale instead of cabbage, but I personally prefer the softer and sweeter taste of cabbage. Colcannon is traditionally topped with...